Saturday, May 21, 2016

2016 Linux/Ubuntu comments for Newbies

I installed Ubuntu Gnome version 16.10 on a new computer.    Here are just a
few things that I noticed:



When my computer is idling, it is using about 1.5 GB of RAM,
and when I have YouTube playing and a game playing, it is using
2.2 GB of RAM.

My CPU usage for 8 core i7 is 1 % in 2 or 3 of the cores and 0 %
in the other 5 to 6 cores when idling.     With Youtube playing and
a game in the background, the cores hover around 17% each, some
dropping to 8 % and the highest number I have seen is 23 %.

I guess that would suggest that a person can build a good Linux computer
with a i5 CPU and just 4 GB of good RAM.    Right ??



The comments below are specific to Ubuntu, and probably just the flavor
Ubuntu Gnome:

I now have a Twitter client on my menu bar.   It is called "Corebird."

     https://goo.gl/photos/MXenUWzeBx9reYtA7

It works great, but I can't get Facebook, Instagram, etc. in the same
manner.   I have to resort
to using the web-browser to get other social media.    I guess I will
have to start
Twittering now that it is easier to use on my computer.

Twitter address:    @dlocklear01


The link below shows my desktop when I am not doing anything.    The
only thing to click on is the word "Activities," at the left top corner, which
gets you into the vertical app bar and a text search bar, and top right corner
is the on/off menu, network, and volume.    In the middle top is the
date and time
which you can click on to get to a simple calendar and notifications.

     https://goo.gl/photos/Srn7jEey6u7js63H8


The link below shows what happens when I click on "Activities."    The vertical
toolbar to the left shows up.    Note the icon with the bird.   That
is not Angry Birds,
but the Twitter client mentioned above.    To the far right of the
screen there is a pull
out window, of all the apps that are running ( you have to squint to
see it, but it pulls out
easily by just hovering the mouse over it:

     https://goo.gl/photos/KPiiDWGhkGrY1sBR7

I have installed about 13 free games from the list of games the operating
system provides.   I found that "Neverball," was probably one of the best of the
games, especially for kids.


Having the vertical menu bar on the side of the computer works best with
the new wide-screen monitors.

Installation of all hardware was simple and invisible, except apparently it did
not like my model of printer.    I tried 2 different ones and it did not work.


There seems to be no reason to use Windows XP if you are a casual user
of computers.     I do not see any great reason to use Windows 7 if you are a casual
user just doing the basic things the average person does on their computer.

No comments:

Post a Comment