Sunday, May 22, 2016

Related to computers - Linux 2016

I would like to brag about a new personal achievement.

I can now claim that I know how to build personal Linux computers.

I spent the past month self-teaching myself, and devoted all
my spare time to it, and I can finally say that I have a basic
beginner's level knowledge of the operating system used
to install programs and make a new blank computer usable.

Our 11 year old daughter can turn on this computer and easily log-in, 
and has a choice of 25 exciting games to play.

I built a really fancy computer.    But it turns out, that Linux
does not require as powerful of computer as Windows and
Apple need.

Next-time, I can build a smaller more portable, less powerful
computer that will suit my business needs better.

I still have a lot to learn, as Linux is not yet perfect.     It is sort
of like Windows 7 was back in 2009.    People forget that when
Microsoft started coercing people to leave Windows XP and get
a Windows 7 computer, that many chose instead to get an Apple
Computer or move to Linux.    Now most businesses prefer Windows
7, but  Windows 7 is no longer being properly supported, and thousands
of computer geeks around the world are supporting Linux, so it has 
become just as good as Windows 7.     By August, Linux will surpass 
Windows 7 in functionality.

The whole point is that a person like me does not have to buy Windows or
buy the programs that use it.    Everything I need is free and right here
on my computer, and if I want to change a program, I know how to do that.

Where Windows still excels is in the areas where businesses use programs
like accounting and tax programs and AutoCAD, but I can see how Linux will 
eventually catch up to that.

I think Android ( like on Samsung tablets and smartphones ) is going to take 
over the touchscreen computer market, and
Linux will eventually be the most popular operating system for people that still
think they need a computer sitting on their desk.

Cheers,

David

No comments:

Post a Comment