Sunday, August 6, 2017

End of Summer Family Road-trip


About 13 years ago, I announced on CaveTex that I was a participant in a soon-to-be pro-creation event.  This was met with much ridicule and praise.

Fast forward to the summer of 2017, and my daughter, ( who I nick-named, "CavePearl" ) will be 13 in just six weeks.   Time flies apparently, and I never had the chance to take her in a cave, or especially cave exploring.    ( Exception:   Richland Caverns tour when she was one, but she slept the entire tour in my chest-pack. )

This past weekend she and I ( along with my estranged-wife ) went on an end of the summer drive of 36 hours of intense pit-stops.  I had hoped to somehow, mix in a cave visit with all that, but it was not meant to be.

Ironically, this route was nearly identical to my drive to meet a caver near Fort Worth just seven weeks ago for the long road-trip to the NSS Convention. 
The second reason for this particular trip, was to recover all my camping gear that I had pulled out of the Sequoia, when the tow-truck driver in Fort Worth hauled it off.  I had had to stash that at a relative's house for the past 6 weeks  And the third reason for the trip, was to leave my daughter with relatives for a week.
See the link below for some photos ( and music ), but you have to click on the
show, after opening the link:




The Sequoia performed great.
I now have 1,000 miles on the new ( but used ) engine.    I will have to make this return trip next week to pick her up.

P.S.

Pictures are of little places in east-central Texas.   The family photo is my estranged biological father, his wife and daughter ( my sister ) and her husband and my daughter and myself.     Probably a very rare photo of all of us.    The two nephews were asleep in the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment